Friday, August 10, 2012

Le Chase Chapter 14

Previously in Chapter 13:

There was a little gap in the steel lockers, I looked around me just to be sure no one was watching, I quickly slipped the note in Layal's locker and escaped the room just in time.

But what I found when I left the room, forced me to freeze in my spot in shock.


"Ebrahim! Shitsawe ehny?" Layal's voice was loud, there was a glass thing over one of the doors so I could see there was a tall looking guy, with the same skin and nose as Layal's, he was peeking around the cafe, looking suspicious.


"Bas gelt I'd visit you." Ebrahim, Layal's brother, the brother I was supposed to know, shrugged.

I was busted.


-

-Layal's POV-




 
I hoped my voice was loud enough, I saw Thari make his way into the kitchen a minute ago and I purposely told Ebrahim about my new job so he could come in and do his "checking". This meant he would check if there would be too many guys, the types that would just flirt and hit on you and then he'd probably tell me to quit, but of course, all of the guys here were respectable and polite, non of them tried to hit on a girl like those guys in the malls.

I just wanted Ebrahim to show up so I'd see Thari's reaction.

"Yir'9a el manager adish el ma6bakh?" Ebrahim asked me in a childish tone, it was his first time seeing me work and he had never tried out intern/summer or any part time jobs for experience purposes.

"Ferro yiwanes, ma ra7 yigoul shay 3ade." I laughed at his fearful expression, he had a cap over his hair and his eyes were much darker than mine. I ushered him into the kitchen, expecting to find Thari there but he was nowhere to be seen.

"Hatha mnu?" Ebrahim hissed, his eyes following one of the workers, his name was Jarra7.

"Jarra7 Al-X." I replied, my eyes trying to search for Thari's familiar tall height, his messy hair and the beanie he usually wore to work, but the only thing I found was the steal plates that surrounded me and the workers scurrying all over the place, trying to work as fast as possible.

"Ohh, a3arif okhouh." Ebrahim nodded in approval. Kuwait was such a small place. I couldn't just ask Ebrahim if knew a "Thari Al X", then he'd be suspicious on why I'd even ask about a boy so I had to make sure he saw him.

"Ohhh, hathee mnu?" Ebrahim's eyes turned flirtatious once he spotted Farah, wearing an apron that barely covered her naked legs.

"Ebrahim!" I smacked his muscled arm and he laughed in response, his dark eyes twinkling.

"Atghashmar atghashmar!" Ebrahim held up both hands in defence.

"Okay bas?" Ebrahim looked around, looking bored already.

Ugh Thari where are you? 

"I guess-" I was about to say the words but I heard a loud clank! The noise was coming from the small locker room to my left, I quickly turned around and found a shadow of a tall masculine body moving around.

"Offh!" A deep voice groaned out in pain and I could hear other things being thrown over to the ground by accident.

I found him.

"Are you okay?" I said after I pulled the door of the locker room open, trying to hide my evil smile. Ebrahim was right behind me as we both stared at Thari, he was sitting on the cool ground, his hair looking messier than before and the mops were lying next to him, I was guessing the mops toppled over by accident and made him trip over.

He looked like a little boy who just caught for stealing candy.

"Uhm," Thari mumbled, he tried standing back up but the mops made him trip again and fall back down, butt first. I turned around to watch Ebrahim's expression but I was surprised to find Ebahim wasn't even standing behind me anymore, he was too busy chatting up Farah.

I turned back around and found Thari standing now, he was much taller than me and so I had to look up to face him, I could have sworn he looked relieved for a second but now he looked emotionless and confident, his usual self.

"Yalla ana barou7 Layal." Ebrahim called out, I was about to stop him but he was too quick, Farah looked shy and I was pretty sure he got her number.

Darn it, just great, my plan had to mess up by itself.

I faced Thari once again, he was staring at me, holding back a smirk. He was up to something, and I was going to catch him for it.

"Are you okay?" Thari said, trying to not laugh.

"Just great." I said sarcastically, passing him to go to my locker, I just wanted an excuse to give him my back. I could feel his eyes on me for a few minutes before he walked off without another word.

Once I was sure he was gone, I didn't bother opening my locker since I didn't want anything, I left the room and passed Thari when he wasn't looking.

-

-Thari's POV-

"Shfeek?" Jarra7's sudden voice crushed my daydreams and I was back in the kitchen, watching Jarra7 toy with a knife.

"Ha ma feene shay." I smirked to myself, remembering how easily I got out of the Ebrahim and Layal mess.

"Tene7t." Jarra7 laughed at me.

"Oh, asif." I laughed along, scratching the back of my neck, tilting it a bit, making myself seem as if I was trying to stretch but I wanted an excuse to look at Layal. There was a window on the door to the cafe so I could see her perfectly through it, she was leaning back against the counter, her bright eyes were staring at her friend's as her full lips kept moving, she was engrossed into a conversation.

I saw her by the locker room, I was curious if she read my note that I left in her locker but she was already gone when I went to check by the lockers again.

"Jarra7, t7b wa7da?" I asked, breaking the silence. All I could hear were the clink clanks of the forks and spoons around the kitchen, the water swishing around, cleaning the cake smeared dishes.

"H-ha?!" Jarra7 looked startled by my question, his cheeks heating up for a few minutes.

"Ahhh Jarra7 ye7b?" I chuckled, teasing him. His small eyes squinted at me, he had a tall yet thin frame and his eyes were shielded with transparent glasses.

"Heyy ushhh!" Jarra7 turned around quickly, looking scared that someone heard me.

"Mnu elbent?" I chuckled even more, loving his silly reaction. He was so innocent.

"A9lan ma t7bny." Jarra7's shoulders sagged lower, his eyes full of sadness.

"Shdarak?" I asked in a curious tone.

"She doesn't know I even exist." He shrugged, trying to end the subject.

"Laish ma tgouleha?" I tried filling him with confidence.

"Mu men 9ijik 9a7?" Jarra7 looked gobsmacked of my suggestion.

"Ohh, she's that type of girl?" I scratched my beard that I was too lazy to shave off, the small sprouts of hair tickled my fingers.

"That type of girl" meant the type that wasn't so open to go up to, the type of girl that was so respected, it was just obvious that she didn't even know anything about dating and wouldn't even think about it. Those types of girls were impossible to approach.

Just like Layal.

Ugh stop thinking about her, Bdour's easier you know.

I ignored the evil voice inside my head.

"Eee." Jarra7 frowned.

"Noura, mu 9a7?" I said her name, it was so obvious, she was one of Layal's friends and she always wore her hair up in a bun, not bothering to put make up to work but she had flawless skin, she didn't need any. Her frame was petite and thin, she suited Jarra7 perfectly.

"Shdarak?!" Jarra7 looked even more shocked now.

"It's obvious." I laughed, remembering the many times I caught him staring at her when she wasn't looking and then quickly turning around when she looked back at him.

"Ley hal deraja?" Jarra7 sighed, letting go of the knife in his hand and met my eyes.

"Eee." I continued to laugh.

"Ma yi'9a7ik." Jarra7 couldn't control his smile.

"Embala." I kept laughing, it was adorable in a way, it was puppy love. (*puppy love is when two people like each other but are too shy to say it, so they're super shy around each other and show hints that they have crushes on each other. The innocent/cute type of love.)

"Hff al7een shasawe?" Jarra7 sounded serious.

"I'm having girl problems myself, I'm not the one to ask." I replied seriously, my playfulness melting away. I turned to look at Layal again but I couldn't see her anymore, she wasn't in the window's view, her friend was.

"It's obvious with you too, you know." Jarra7 said in a hushed tone.

"Ha?!" I quickly turned my head and faced him.

"You and Layal." Jarra7 hid his smile.

"Shfeena?" I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Don't act stupid, everyone knows." Jarra7 laughed this time, it was his turn to tease me.

"There's nothing to know." I replied in an annoyed tone. Who is he to talk?

"Sure sure." Jarra7 grinned.

"Go back to work." I wanted to end the subject as soon as possible.

"Who made you manager?" Jarra7 kept laughing, loving the awkward position I was put into.

"Agoul, chub zain? I have work to do." I said in a fake serious tone just so I could walk off to the cashier machine, outside the kitchen, Jarra7 wouldn't stop laughing.

But whilst I was on my way to the cashier, I stopped on my track and decided to turn around and go back into the locker room. I unlocked my locker and got out my drawing pad that I brought with me everywhere. You don't know when inspiration kicked in and you were ready to draw.

I picked up a pencil from the pockets of my jacket and started to trace two simple circles over the paper. After that, I started sketching the shapes properly with the tips of my pencil, shading the sides and filling the little images with details.

I did it pretty fast, I knew Ferro, our manager, would check on us every few minutes to see if we were working or not so I didn't have much time to spare. I didn't have any colours with me but I showed off the different colours in the image by darkening the grey tones where the sides would be more darker and making the tones light when there were more colour.

Once I was done, I ripped the paper and looked at the drawing.

I successfully drew Layal's eyes, it was the same almond shape and you could clearly see the different splashes of colour and tones in her eyes. I folded the image up into little squares and walked up to Layal's locker.

I was slipping the paper in between the spaces of the locker, my back facing the door of the locker room.

A voice startled me, as if it came out of nowhere.

"What are you doing?"

No comments:

Post a Comment